Boating is a popular activity whether you’re a Florida resident or a vacationer. However, there are some important rules to know before taking your boat out on the water – including what to do in the scenario of a boat accident. Boating accidents can be tragic. In order to get full compensation, you’ll want to know these helpful tips about boating accidents, liability, and compensation.
Some Top Causes of Boating Accidents:
- Lack of attention is the leading cause of boating accidents. For instance, if the driver is talking on a phone, texting, or taking pictures, they’re probably not paying attention to driving the boat.
- Lack of experience is another common cause of boat accidents. Boat operators should be licensed.
- Equipment failure is another common cause.
- Alcohol use is the primary cause of boating accident deaths.
- Speeding or making sharp turns or stops is also dangerous. Passengers can sometimes fly out of the boat or fall hard on the floor of the boat.
- Weather and hazardous water are factors. Boating in bad weather or hazardous waters is not only dangerous, but may violate navigation rules.
If the Boat Operator Caused the Accident
Whoever is driving the boat is responsible for the safety of the passengers. Boat operators have a legal duty of care to operate the boat safely at all times.
If your boat operator speeds, drives the boat while intoxicated, or fails to operate the boat responsibly, he or she is negligent. That means the boat operator is liable and responsible for the damages.
Injury damages after a boating accident could include:
- Medical costs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
A personal injury attorney can guide you through the process. Also note that if you have injuries, you should be sure to ask the boat’s driver and owner for insurance information. If another boat caused the accident, you can file separate boat insurance claims against the owners and drivers of both the boats.
Were you injured in a boating accident?
If you are not sure what to do after a boating accident, The Ticktin Law Group can help. You’ll need to obtain the proper documents – including the police report, witness statements, and photos to help prove your claim, and we will guide you from there. If you have questions about your personal injury, contact The Ticktin Law Group for a free consultation. Just call (561) 232-2222 or fill out the contact form here for the first step in attaining the compensation you deserve.