The Ticktin Minute November 7, 2016 – Fundamentals of Personal Injury Protection (“PIP”) Coverage

The biggest concern after an accident for most people is medical bills. Every person who owns a vehicle in Florida must have Personal Injury Protection (“PIP”) on their insurance policy. PIP is the required coverage that pays your medical expenses after an accident. In Florida, every person’s own insurance company pay for their medical expenses after an accident up to $10,000.00 regardless of who was at fault for the accident. This is why they call Florida a “No Fault” state.

Most people are aware that your insurance company pays up to $10,000.00 of medical bills after an accident, but what they may not be aware of is that on most policies, your insurance company only pays 80% of each medical bill. The other 20% balance of your bill is considered a co-pay and are required to be paid by you, the patient. With extremely high hospital costs, people can be stuck with hefty hospital bills even when they have Personal Injury Protection coverage. If you have health insurance, these balances can be submitted and paid by your insurer. If you do not have health insurance, many hospitals will require some form of payment within thirty (30) to ninety (90) days, or else they will place you into collections, potentially affecting your credit.

Most Personal Injury Protection coverage also include a deductible of up to $1,000.00, which is considered the patient’s responsibility. This amount may also be submitted to your health insurance company; however, keep in mind that most health insurance policies contain a subrogation clause. If you receive compensation from the at-fault party after being injured in an accident, the subrogation clause in your health insurance contract requires you to reimburse your health insurance company for all or some of what they paid on your behalf. These are just a few of the issues you may face through the course of your personal injury case.

If you have suffered from a personal injury contact the attorneys of The Ticktin Law Group for a free consultation to help you get the compensation you deserve!

Share: